Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Why Vote? (A Philosophical Approach)


"Voting is a ceremony. It is an expression of reverence--not for our government or our laws, not for anything man-made, but for the very idea that ordinary people are more important than the juggernauts that seem to rule them. If we do not understand why we should vote in this country, that is because we have fogotten the meaning of ceremony. And the meaning of ceremony is reverence." - Paul Woodruff

Woodruff's statement is one that I would not have understood even a few years ago. Reverence comes with age and understanding. Voting day is a ceremony, and yesterday I found myself wondering why it's not a national holiday. In our busy lives, it's as though we cannot stop and pause, even in making history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
- Oscar Wilde

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin