Monday, June 1, 2009

Navajo Dancing


I had the great fortune of catching Navajo dancing last night in downtown Gallup. My two favorite dances were the Butterfly Dance and Hoop Dance shown below. I hope you enjoy as much as I did!

Dance instructor's introduction to the Hoop Dance:

"This is still a sacred ceremony for our people. The Apache also use hoops. The Pueblo use hoops as an expression of dance as part of their healing process. As other tribes were inspired by their hoops, they began to add more hoops...and now, throughout the United States, other tribes do the hoop dance and express their own in honoring the beautiful shapes around us. Mother earth brings her own design, her own growth of plants and animals, the clouds, the rain, as part of our healing. When we take it in, we begin to heal. And, so we would like to share this with you as part of this good medicine the dancer creates through the hoops."







No comments:

Post a Comment

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
- Oscar Wilde

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin